Table of Contents
- 1 WED Steering Committee 2016
- 1.1 Trees Planting at AIMST University campus
- 1.2 Seminar on Integrated Fish Farming & Sustainable
- 1.3 2 Days Workshop On Statistics Using Excel And SPSS
- 1.4 National Seminar on Sustainable Environment and Health
- 1.5 Intervarsity Debate
- 1.6 Inter School Quiz Competition
- 1.7 Trash to Treasure Innovation Competition
- 1.8 Cycling Event: Ride For Fun 16 October 2016
- 1.9 Contacts
World Environment Day is joyously celebrated every year on 5th June to raise global awareness for taking positive environmental actions to protect the nature resources and the planet Earth.
The burgeoning population growth and the growing economic development with high exploitation of natural resources have caused degradation and pollution that has severely affected the delicate ecosystem, leading to loss of biodiversity. To address these growing environmental challenges, it is the responsibility of all the citizens of this planet to play an active role in protecting our environment for a sustainable future.
There is a global increase in health-related issues due to water pollution, air pollution, soil pollution, poor sanitation and vector borne diseases. Sustainable environment is the key that provides an answer to the question how human beings can coexist harmoniously with the Earth and the nature.
In conjunction with WED 2016, AIMST University is proud to organize seminar and events dedicated to preserve our environment. It would also be an opportunity for all of us to be empowered and be an agent of change to ensure positive impact on the planet.
WED Steering Committee 2016
- Senior Professor Dr. Manickam Ravichandran
- Professor Dr. Mohammed Baidi bin Bahari
- Associate Professor Dr. Kathiresan Sathasivam
- Sr. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Kaveti Balaji
- Professor. Dr. Pandurangan
- Sr. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Kasi Marimuthu
- Mr. Christapher Parayil Varghese
- Dr. Gokul Shankar
- Mr. Arunagiri Shanmugam
- Ms. Kalaiselvee Rethinam
- Dr. Shalini Sivadasan
- Dr. Rohini Karunakaran
- Ms. Elil Suthamathi
Slogan Writting Competition, Debate and Quiz, Trash to Treasure – Exhibition
- Ms. Faustina Lerene Dominic
- Ms. Rebecca Jayamalar
- Ms. Vijayananthini
- Ms. Ponnarasy
- Mr. Jeevan
- Mr. Basu
- Ms. Mangalarani
- Mr. Prabhakaran
- Mr. Halikhan Daulat
Publicity and Sponsors
- Dr. Sivachandran Parimannan
- Ms. Sharma
- Mr. Siventhiran
- Mr. Anthony Tee
- Mr. S.Maheswaran
IT and AV
- Mr. Gobinath
- Mr. D.S. Murali Velavan (Food and beverages)
- Mr. Neeraj Paliwal (FOP-brochure design)
- Ms. Musalinah Buzri (Website)
- Mr. S. Krishnan
- Mr. V. Krishnan
- Ms. Yoganandhini (Hostel accommodation)
Event Management (Seminar)
- Dr. Sughash Bhore
- Mr. Maheswaran
- Dr. Leela
- Dr. Lee Su Yin
- Dr. V. Ravichandran
- Dr. Parasuraman
- Dr. Venkateskumar
- Dr. Sunitha Namani
- Dr. Jawahar Dhanavel
- Dr. Saurabh Prakash
- Dr. Durga Prasad
- Mr. R. Rizhi
- Mr. Elanchezhian
- Ms. Veni Chandrakasan
- Mr. Girish
- Mr. Nithiananthan
Trees Planting at AIMST University campus
5th June is World Environment Day (WED) and is celebrated world over by raising awareness about measures to preserve earth. We, at AIMST University are contributing to the future of our planet by planting trees on 6th of June 2016 and conducting a national seminar on “Sustainable Environment and Health”, Environment quiz for school students, Debate for university students and Trash to Treasure – Innovation competition on 22 September, 2016).
Seminar on Integrated Fish Farming & Sustainable
Date: 15 July 2016 (Friday)
Time: 2.00 pm
Venue: LT1, Ground Floor, Dental Building, AIMST University, Semeling, Bedong, Kedah Darul Aman, Malaysia
- Dr. Christopher Lyon Brown
World Fish Aquaculture
Fish and Rice Culture for South Asia
- Dr. Debashish Mazumder
Isotopic and nuclear techniques for water resources management and food authenticity research.
- Dr. Aminur Rahman
Echinoderm Fisheries in the Indo-Pacific and Their Emerging Prospects, Potentials, Cultures and Utilizations
2 Days Workshop On Statistics Using Excel And SPSS
Date: 20 & 21 September 2016
- Basic Concepts of Statistics – Introduction to statistics, statistical terms, Types of data, Types of variables, Scales of measurement, sampling and sampling meth-ods, observational and experimental study, research process, principles of tabulation and graphical presentation, descriptive statistics, hypothesis testing, different statistical methods
- Introduction to SPSS and Excel functions
- SPSS data and variable view: Data Entry and Define Variables & Labels, data transformation, Coding & Computing new Variables and Recode, sort cases
- Testing Data Normality
- Descriptive Statistics using Excel and SPSS
- Graphical presentation using Excel and SPSS
- Parametric and nonparametric methods
- Cross Tabulation & Chi-Square Test
- One Way ANOVA
- Two way Analysis of Variance
- Correlation analysis
- Linear and Multiple Regression analysis
- Probit analysis
- Mann-Whitney U Test
- Wilcoxon Signed Rank Test
- Kruskal–Wallis test
- Friedman’s Two-way Analysis of Variance by Ranks
- Reliability (Cronbach’s Alpha (α)) using SPSS
- Cluster analysis, Factor analysis and Discriminant analysis
Dr. K. Marimuthu has obtained his PhD in (Zoology/ Environmental Biotechnology interdisciplinary) from Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tamilnadu, India in 2003. He is currently a Deputy Vice chancellor for Academic and International Affairs and Senior Associate Professor in the Department of Biotechnology AIMST University, Malaysia for the last 10 years.
He teaches Aqua-culture Biostatistics, Research Methodology, Biology of Invertebrates and Vertebrates courses for undergraduate programme. He is specialized in fish reproduction and breeding, larval rearing, hatchery management, fish immunology and aquatic toxicology related research. He has published more than 90 research publication fisheries and aquaculture field in various reputed and indexed journals.
He has participated more than 35 local and international conferences, seminar, and workshops. He is external exa miner for six Indi-an Universities (Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Annamalai University, Bharathiyar University, Bharathidasan University, Madras University, Chennai, and Priest University, Thanjavur) Tamilnadu, India.
He has been using SPSS statistical software for the last 15 years and conducted several sessions of SPSS workshop and training for researchers and students in Malaysia and India.
National Seminar on Sustainable Environment and Health
Date: 22 September 2016
Globally, overexploitation of earth’s natural resources by human is a serious issue. Burgeoning population growth and economic development with high exploitation of natural resources in various countries continuously damages our planet’s environment.
To address growing environmental challenges, a new development archetype is imperative that will protect the natural resources and future generations. Sustainable environment is a key theory that provides an answer to the question, how human beings can coexist harmoniously with the earth and with nature.
In conjunction with World Environment Day (WED) 2016, AIMST University is proud to host and organize one day National Seminar on ‘Sustainable Environment and Health’ to address the issues and challenges of sustainable environment in the era of fast changing environment. This seminar is focused to create awareness among the school and university students to maintain the better environment and health.
The seminar includes awareness talks by eminent scholars and environmentalists from Malaysia and will focus on the global environmental issues and impacts on human health and environment conservation strategies.
Below are the themes in this seminar:
- ~ Global Change and Impacts of Pollution
- ~ Environment and Human Health
- ~ Conservation of Natural Resources
- ~ Sustainable Agriculture and Organic Farming – Green Technology
- ~ Exploration of Biofuels and Alternate Energy Sources
- ~ Legal Environmental Regulations
- Prof. Dr. Sultan Ahmad Ismail
For Earth’s sake
- Dr. Fadzil bin Abd Kadir, AMK., BCK
Natural Resources and Conservation
- Prof. Dr. P. K. Rajesh
Reduce wastage, Reuse, Recycle
- Prof. Dr. Sudesh Kumar
Biodegradable Plastics For A Sustainable Environment
- Dr. P. Arulselvan
Environmental pollution and its biological impacts
- Dr. Suresh Kumar
Impact of environmental alteration and human infectious diseases
- Dr. Haslinda Binti Mohd Anuar
Environmental Law in Malaysia: A Protection to Public Health?
- Prof. Dr. Kannan Narayanan
Molecular Marker Techniques in Environmental Forensic Studies
- Mr. N V Subbarow
Natural farming in Malaysia
- Prof. Quamrul Hasan
Sustainable Agriculture And Organic Farming: A Case Study On A Paddy Farm In Kedah, Malaysia
- Dr. Md. Aminur Rahman
Integrated Rice-Fish Farming: A New Avenue for Sustainable Agricultural Production in a Ecofriendly Environment
- Mr. Don Theseira
Recycling of household wastes (Resources) for cleaner environment
Date : 22 September, 2016
Location : AIMST University, Jalan Bedong – Semeling, 08100 Bedong, Kedah Darul Aman, Malaysia.
World Environment Day (WED) is celebrated every year on 5th June to promote awareness and to encourage people to take responsibility to safeguard our Mother Earth. It is also an opportunity for everyone to reflect on how our actions and choices affect the environment and its inhabitants.
AIMST University believes in fostering this culture with sustainable initiatives. To commemorate these efforts, AIMST University in conjunction with World Environment Day is organizing an intervarsity debate for university students in the northern region. It would be a platform for young leaders to examine ideas and environmental policies with the aim of persuading people. It would also allow an exchange of intellectual arguments and engage with opposing views with vigour and passion towards pivotal environmental issues.
Inter School Quiz Competition
Date : 22 September, 2016.
Duration : 8.00 am – 5.00 pm
Location : AIMST University, Jalan Bedong – Semeling, 08100 Bedong, Kedah Darul Aman, Malaysia.
Environmental quiz is a great tool to help school students maintain interest in environmental issues. In conjunction with WED celebration globally, AIMST University plans to hold an array of events for school students, in order to draw attention to human activities which have a direct impact on the state of the environment of our planet. School students would be expected to gain the following from the quiz events:
- Environmental Awareness To create awareness about environmental issues and to promote a change of attitude among students towards our environment.
- Out of School Experience To encourage school students and to unplug them from their usual routines, enriching the students perception of the environment while making them to think out of the box.
- Cognitive Development To ignite thoughts and ability to learn through non formal systems.
- Communication Ability To allow students to actively participate, build confidence and explore the diverse opportunities around them.
- Meeting New Peers To create an all new support system among participants that will allow an exchange of ideas, better interaction and new discoveries.
Trash to Treasure Innovation Competition
Date : 22 September 2016
Duration : 8.00 am – 5.00 pm
Location : AIMST University, Jalan Bedong – Semeling, 08100, Bedong, Kedah Darul Aman, Malaysia.
AIMST University is celebrating the ‘World Environment Day’ on 22nd September 2016 as an awareness to sustain the earth values. Trash to Treasure Innovation Competition will be a part of the event to enlighten the objective of the World Environment Day celebration.
This competition is targeting school students as major participants. This competition also plays an important role in the development of recycling and innovation skills among students. Promoting recycling offers other important economic and social benefits: generating economic growth and fostering innovation.
Recycling contributes to a green economy in numerous ways, including enhancing resource efficiency and reducing environmental impacts. Making new products out of recycled materials reduces the need to consume precious resources. So, recycling helps protect raw materials and protect natural habitats for future generations.
Recycling also reduces the need for extracting (mining, quarrying and logging), refining and processing raw materials all of which create substantial air and water pollution.
Download: T2T Innovation Competition Form
Cycling Event: Ride For Fun 16 October 2016
Date : 16 October , 2016.
Duration : 7.30am (flag Off)
VENUE (Start and finish) : AIMST University-Tupah -AIMST University
Download: WED Cycling Event Flyer
For further details, please contact:
Dr. Kasi Marimuthu – 016 472 3672
Ms. Faustina Lerene Dominic – 012 458 5253
Mr. Christapher – 016 473 8139
Dr. Gokul Shankar – 010 373 4146
Mr. Arunagiri – 019 425 1016
E-mail: [email protected]
Fax: +604-429 8102